Eggnog is one of those – you either love it or hate it – beverages. I personally adore it and I think that it traces back to my time travelling through Europe, more specifically in the Netherlands, when I discovered Avocat, the amazing egg liqueur that they would drown breakfast crepes, waffles and pancakes in. It was delicious and reminded me of the taste of eggnog, a drink I had been turning down since I could remember. Was I crazy?
And so began my love affair with eggnog. Now, nothing gives me that warm & cosy Christmas feeling that a little cup of delicious nog with a splash of something a naughty.
I created this recipe to save on the fat, sugar and carbs that comes with this holiday drink.
**Note, this recipe can be made VEGAN by following the swaps
2 Cups Unsweetened Almond Milk or Unsweetened Milk Of Your Choice
30-40 Drops Vanilla Creme Liquid Stevia OR 1/3 Cup Raw Honey
3 Farm Fresh Organic Egg Whites OR 6 Tbsp Egg Replacer (you can omit this altogether but must reduce milk to about 11/4Cups)
1 Tsp Natural Vanilla
1 Vanilla Pod (Optional)
1/4 Tsp Fresh Grated Nutmeg OR 1/2 Tsp Powdered Nutmeg
15-20 Drops Natural Rum Liqueur Extract (optional)
1. Blend all ingredients in a food processor OR magic bullet.
2. Pour ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a simmer on low-med heat whisking constantly.
3. Once ingredients are simmering, remove from heat and allow to cool before refrigerating overnight. Do not overboil!
4. Remove from refrigerator and if the mixture is too thick, add a little more unsweetened almond milk.
5. Top with more nutmeg or cinnamon.